Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Allergic Reaction

Dictionary.com states that Allergy means “an abnormal reaction of the body to a previously encountered allergen introduced by inhalation, ingestion, injection, or skin contact, often manifested by itchy eyes, runny nose, wheezing, skin rash, or diarrhea,” whereas Allergic Reaction means “hypersensitivity reaction to a particular allergen.”

The past 3 days was miserable for me! I used to be allergic to most seafood when I was young. But over time, it has decreased, and I can eat most seafood again (although the only thing I do eat is fish and crab). Mum cooked crabs for me 6 weeks ago and I was fine eating it. So when hubby brought back crab curry from his mum’s house last Sunday, I happily shared it with him. On Monday, I woke up with white spots on my right and left cheek. Definitely an allergic reaction, and I couldn’t think of anything else that caused it but the crabs. Normally when this happens, I just have to pop-in a dose of Prednisolone (steroid) and the reaction will stop. Of course, I need some antihistamine to control the itch for the rash that’s already out, but at least I know there won’t be more. But, since I’m pregnant, I couldn’t pop in the steroid tablets. Bummer!

So, I had the whole full-blown course of the allergic reaction. I started getting rash (red spots) over m y right eyelid, then under my right eye, and then over my left eyelid and under my left eye also. I’ve never gotten it this bad before! I went to the clinic and was given Hydrocort cream (steroid cream) to be applied minimally over the affected area.

However, the next day, it was WORSE! I went to another clinic, and this doctor advised me to change my cleanser, gave me antibacterial cream, some other creams etc. Sigh. Took MC and stayed home to look after my face. She also asked me to get Tea Tree Oil. Not wanting to show my face anywhere else, I went to the nearest Guardian – in Giant near my house, and got St Ives Apricot Scrub and Garden of Eden Pure Tea Tree Oil with Natural Vitamin E. Scrubbed my face with the Apricot Scrub (figured that I may as well just try to get rid of the spots), somehow made them redder, and then I applied the Tea Tree Oil. It has gotten better. Maybe it’s the Tea Tree Oil, and it really has some healing effect, but the red spots have been subsiding.

Well, it’s a real lesson for me. No more seafood, or picking prawns out of char kuey tiaw and just eating the kuey tiaw. Til I deliver, I gotta be more careful. Don’t need another allergic reaction now, especially when I can't take most medication!

No comments:

Post a Comment