Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sex, Due, Months

There’s been so much going on but I haven’t had time to blog about it. I’ll get to my pregnancy status in the next blog. Here, I’d like to mention about how pregnant ladies are seen in society’s eyes – as public property!!

My subject here does not imply anything dirty (for anyone who thought so!). It’s merely the questions I’ve been getting since my bump became obvious.

People, strangers in fact, tend to ask me, “How many months ah?” referring to how many months preggers I am. Next Q would be, “When due?” and then I have to tell them when I am due. Normally I just tell them “Early Nov”. I mean, why should I tell all these strangers my exact due date?! And then comes the best question of all, “Boy or Girl ah?!” Hello!!! What is it to you if I’m having a boy or a girl??

The worst are those who pass comments when I say I am 7+ months pregnant, they comment “Not very big ah your stomach!” or some who say “Your face very fat already huh!” And those who know me and make these comments are even worse! A relative (can’t mention who over here as it’s very sensitive) kept telling me I’ve put on weight since my 3rd month, even after knowing I was pregnant. I tolerated it once, twice, and the third time she told me such a thing I just burst. To be precise, she said “Your face looks SOOOO chubby now!”So I just retorted, “Well, I’m SUPPOSED to be putting on weight now!” Come on lah, she already has 3 kids, she ought to know that you are supposed to put on and store extra weight during your pregnancy! So what kind of comment is that?!

Those are the people who pass comments. I have experiences with people who just touch or rub my belly without permission! Hey my belly is still my belly, it’s an extended part of me! Imagine if I see a guy with a beer belly and if I just rub it and say “Put on weight, haven’t we?!” Let’s see how beer-belly-guy responds to that!

But, for us pregnant women, we are supposed to smile and say “Thank you” because the stranger was so kind to rub our belly and smile at us!

No comments:

Post a Comment